Radeon HDMI question

Boszormenyi Zoltan zboszor at pr.hu
Thu Jan 17 11:35:21 PST 2013

Hi,

I experience a strange problem, I don't know whether
it's a feature or a bug, and if it's a bug, where.

I have a Radeon HD6570. A monitor via DVI and an LCD TV
via HDMI are connected. Fedora 18/x86_64 is installed on
the computer. (Previously it was F17, F16 and F14.)

When playing videos via Xine, all videos with 5.1 sound
works nicely via the HDMI, the sound output is on the TV.
However, when only stereo or mono sound is present in
the video, the sound doesn't go out to the TV.

I have an internal soundcard and speakers are connected.
Pulseaudio on modern Linuxen has the feature to switch the
audio output device on the fly and per-application, so I can
switch between the outputs.

Is is possible to make mono and stereo audio work via HDMI?

Thanks in advance,
Zoltán Böszörményi