Radeon HDMI question

Christian König deathsimple at vodafone.de
Fri Jan 18 04:04:09 PST 2013

Am 17.01.2013 20:35, schrieb Boszormenyi Zoltan:
> Hi,
>
> I experience a strange problem, I don't know whether
> it's a feature or a bug, and if it's a bug, where.
>
> I have a Radeon HD6570. A monitor via DVI and an LCD TV
> via HDMI are connected. Fedora 18/x86_64 is installed on
> the computer. (Previously it was F17, F16 and F14.)
>
> When playing videos via Xine, all videos with 5.1 sound
> works nicely via the HDMI, the sound output is on the TV.
> However, when only stereo or mono sound is present in
> the video, the sound doesn't go out to the TV.
>
> I have an internal soundcard and speakers are connected.
> Pulseaudio on modern Linuxen has the feature to switch the
> audio output device on the fly and per-application, so I can
> switch between the outputs.
>
> Is is possible to make mono and stereo audio work via HDMI?

Hi Zoltán,

that just sounds like a mis configured Xine to me. Xine can be
configured to use different outputs for Mono/Stero and 5.1 sounds.

You can also configure ALSA to route the audio differently depending on
the number of channels, but that isn't the default and if you configured
it like this you probably would remember it :)

I can't really see a way how this can be a hardware problem either,
cause 5.1 audio pass through is handled mostly the same as Stereo.

I suggest that you check your Xine configuration, you should find
multiple setting for selection the output device (Mono/Stereo/5.1/7.1
etc...) make sure that they all point to the correct hardware device.

Regards,
Christian.