GeForce 6100 (NV4E) & nouveau regression in 3.12

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue Feb 11 02:41:53 PST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Rafał Miłecki <zajec5 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> There was also an issue with libdrm_nouveau for pre-nv50 chips, when
>> compiled with gcc-4.8 some time back... fixed in... 2.4.48 or so?
>
> I use openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64) which provides gcc 4.7.1 and
> libdrm_nouveau1-2.4.33-2.3.2.x86_64. I assume libdrm_nouveau was
> compiled using that 4.7.1.

Hmmm... the nouveau drm rewrite went into 2.4.34... I guess you're
using pretty old userspace in general, since everything depends on the
post-rewrite libdrm_nouveau. Of course it definitely sounds like a
kernel issue, but I can't help but wonder if this is a non-issue with
later userspace.

So there are basically 2 things left to do, in order of time-consuming-ness:

(a) try a live{cd,usb} (e.g. arch, or something else that has recent
software), and see if the issue is still present there.
(b) bisect. you can (almost) definitely restrict the bisect to
drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau. if you have additional computational power, i
would recommend looking into distcc for speeding up the compiles. it
may be interesting to also try 3.6.x since 3.7 received a pretty big
rewrite. but a git bisect is a lot more direct in figuring these
things out :)

After I watched your video, it definitely brought back memories of
another bug or perhaps email on this list a while back (definitely
within the past year), but unfortunately I can't quite place it :(

  -ilia