CIK hangs with kernel 3.15, bisected

Grigori Goronzy greg at chown.ath.cx
Fri May 30 11:01:13 PDT 2014

On 30.05.2014 13:46, Grigori Goronzy wrote:
> On 30.05.2014 13:30, Marek Olšák wrote:
>> Grigori,
>>
>> you can git-checkout the commit before and after the memory management
>> changes, compile both and test them.
>>

> I was trying to revert the changes, but it looks like too much changed
> in the meantime. The suitable commits to check out should be 0bc490a8
> (before) and 19dff56a (after), right?

Turns out these changes weren't the problem, but instead it's the page
tables rework which seems to also cause a bunch of other issues, commit
6d2f2944. The latest drm-fixes code doesn't change it, either.

According to my (not very scientific) testing with radeontop and the
"time" utility, this appears to be a CPU overhead problem. The "sys"
duration reported by time for a Xonotic benchmark run is over 3x as long
after the regression, and radeontop seems to report about 10% reduced
GPU load on average.

Best regards
Grigori