Using a HD 4670 still possible?

Christoph Brill egore911 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 09:01:12 PDT 2014

Hi list,

I'm currently trying to get a HD 4670 aka RV730 XT to work against X.org
1.16, xf86-video-ati 7.4.0 on a Linux 3.16.1.

Can anyone tell me: Should this card be able to handle an average Gnome
desktop?

The problem was: 3D rendering did not work at all.

Starting gdm lead to hanging Xorg. Calling glxgears on a twm session just
rendered a black window, which stayed even if the process was killed by
CTRL+C. I managed to get glxgears do do its job by setting "vblank_mode=0".

I guessed my card does not like to play along with vsync at all. So I went
ahead to disable vsyncing (tearing is still better than no display at all).
Setting it globally in /etc/drirc seems to get glxgears running.

Testing Xonotic on twm showed, that the card was now able to handle 3D.
But: gdm still was extremely sluggish and eventually froze. Starting
gnome-shell directly from startx gets me to the desktop, but any action
freezes the process.

Is there still hope for this card or should I get rid of it?

Best wishes,
Christoph