Using a HD 4670 still possible?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Sep 7 18:41:51 PDT 2014

On 07.09.2014 01:01, Christoph Brill wrote:

> I'm currently trying to get a HD 4670 aka RV730 XT to work against X.org
> 1.16, xf86-video-ati 7.4.0 on a Linux 3.16.1.
>
> Can anyone tell me: Should this card be able to handle an average Gnome
> desktop?

Of course.

> The problem was: 3D rendering did not work at all.
>
> Starting gdm lead to hanging Xorg. Calling glxgears on a twm session
> just rendered a black window, which stayed even if the process was
> killed by CTRL+C. I managed to get glxgears do do its job by setting
> "vblank_mode=0".
>
> I guessed my card does not like to play along with vsync at all. So I
> went ahead to disable vsyncing (tearing is still better than no display
> at all). Setting it globally in /etc/drirc seems to get glxgears running.
>
> Testing Xonotic on twm showed, that the card was now able to handle 3D.
> But: gdm still was extremely sluggish and eventually froze. Starting
> gnome-shell directly from startx gets me to the desktop, but any action
> freezes the process.
>
> Is there still hope for this card or should I get rid of it?

It sounds like there's a problem with interrupt processing on your
system. Please provide the dmesg output. You might try
disabling/enabling MSI to see if that works around the problem.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer