Question on UAPI for fences

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 08:48:31 PDT 2014

On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 05:42:57PM +0200, Christian König wrote:
> Am 12.09.2014 um 17:33 schrieb Jerome Glisse:

> >>Our thinking was to allow explicit sync from a single process, but
> >>implicitly sync between processes.
> >This is a BIG NAK if you are using the same ioctl as it would mean you are
> >changing userspace API, well at least userspace expectation. Adding a new
> >cs flag might do the trick but it should not be about inter-process, or any
> >thing special, it's just implicit sync or no synchronization. Converting
> >userspace is not that much of a big deal either, it can be broken into
> >several step. Like mesa use explicit synchronization all time but ddx use
> >implicit.
>
> The thinking here is that we need to be backward compatible for DRI2/3 and
> support all kind of different use cases like old DDX and new Mesa, or old
> Mesa and new DDX etc...
>
> So for my prototype if the kernel sees any access of a BO from two different
> clients it falls back to the old behavior of implicit synchronization of
> access to the same buffer object. That might not be the fastest approach,
> but is as far as I can see conservative and so should work under all
> conditions.
>
> Apart from that the planning so far was that we just hide this feature
> behind a couple of command submission flags and new chunks.

Just to reproduce IRC discussion, i think it's a lot simpler and not that
complex. For explicit cs ioctl you do not wait for any previous fence of
any of the buffer referenced in the cs ioctl, but you still associate a
new fence with all the buffer object referenced in the cs ioctl. So if the
next ioctl is an implicit sync ioctl it will wait properly and synchronize
properly with previous explicit cs ioctl. Hence you can easily have a mix
in userspace thing is you only get benefit once enough of your userspace
is using explicit.

Note that you still need a way to have explicit cs ioctl to wait on a
previos "explicit" fence so you need some api to expose fence per cs
submission.

Cheers,
Jérôme