drm/msm/dsi: hs_zero timing

Archit Taneja architt at codeaurora.org
Thu Aug 27 22:56:07 PDT 2015

On 08/27/2015 07:12 AM, Werner Johansson wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2015 11:31 AM, "Rob Clark" <robdclark at gmail.com
> <mailto:robdclark at gmail.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > I'm not completely sure.. I did observe that we calculated slightly
>  > different settings w/ the auo novatek panel on z3, compared to what
>  > downstream had hard-coded in dts (which presumably came from
>  > magic-spreadsheet), because (I think) of rounding mode->clock to
>  > integer KHz.  Although in the case of the z3 panel, it didn't seem to
>  > matter.  What I am unsure about is whether other panels might be more
>  > sensitive to different settings.
>
> Yes, the code definitely calculates different timing (as can be seen
> with the calculations for this particular Panasonic panel as well). We
> need more of the spreadsheet magic in the code it seems. This hs_zero
> issue seems to be a bug of sorts inside the MSM SoC itself though, not
> an issue with the panel (as exactly the same issue occurred with all
> three panels I tried. The "every-eighth value fails" failure mode does
> not seem to be timing related as I was able to fuzz the timing way
> outside of the specified ranges and still have perfectly good display,
> as long as I stayed out of the "every-eighth" value for hs_zero. The
> panels are typically not crystal controlled so their frequency
> tolerances are wide.
>
> The display mode seems a bit over-specified, can we derive clock from
> htotal * vtotal * refreshrate instead and get the resolution needed (for
> DSI that should always result in the correct clock, right)?

There are certain modes (generally for HDMI/DVI) where the refresh rate
isn't an integer. It can be something like 59.94 Hz, or 60.04Hz. The
above calculation may not work well with such modes.

For example, a 720p at 59.94Hz mode requires 74.175 Mhz. This value can
be expressed relatively accurately in KHz if stored beforehand in
mode->clock. If we try to calculate the pixel clock here ourselves,
we'll need to round off the vrefresh to 60Hz, which gives us a less
accurate 74.25 Mhz.

We have platforms where the DSI output is connected to HDMI bridge
chips. So the issue I mentioned holds true for msm/dsi too.

Thanks,
Archit

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project