AMD guys: commit messages?

Ernst Sjöstrand ernstp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 05:43:48 PST 2015

Hello list!

I lurk here and try to follow Mesa/DRI and most specifically Radeon
driver development, report bugs, test new stuff and help get the bugs
closed and so on...

However I see that the commit messages for AMD/Radeon are often very
unhelpful. They don't state the motivation behind the commits. Is this
a optimization, a nice-to-have cleanup or does this actually fix
something? What does this fix?
Are there tests or bugreports related?

Improving this could make it easier for new developers to start
contributing in the long run also!

Examples:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=d5a5dbd71f0e8756494809025ba2119efdf26373
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=338d7bf0531a10d90db75ad333f7e0a31693641f
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=4ebcf5194d98b47bd9e8a72b7418054708b14750

This is also in the mesa dev guidelines, www.mesa3d.org/devinfo.html :
"Patch fix is not clearly described. For example, a commit message of
only a single line, no description of the bug, no mention of bugzilla,
etc."

Regards!
//Ernst