AMD guys: commit messages?

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 8 06:04:31 PST 2015

On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:43 AM, Ernst Sjöstrand <ernstp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list!
>
> I lurk here and try to follow Mesa/DRI and most specifically Radeon
> driver development, report bugs, test new stuff and help get the bugs
> closed and so on...
>
> However I see that the commit messages for AMD/Radeon are often very
> unhelpful. They don't state the motivation behind the commits. Is this
> a optimization, a nice-to-have cleanup or does this actually fix
> something? What does this fix?
> Are there tests or bugreports related?
>
> Improving this could make it easier for new developers to start
> contributing in the long run also!
>
> Examples:
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=d5a5dbd71f0e8756494809025ba2119efdf26373
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=338d7bf0531a10d90db75ad333f7e0a31693641f
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=4ebcf5194d98b47bd9e8a72b7418054708b14750
>
> This is also in the mesa dev guidelines, www.mesa3d.org/devinfo.html :
> "Patch fix is not clearly described. For example, a commit message of
> only a single line, no description of the bug, no mention of bugzilla,
> etc."

So... what's the appropriate amount? Have every commit describe, in
detail, how the GPU works, how the driver works, and what little bit
of interaction is being changed? I'm not an AMD developer (I do hack
on nouveau though), but I basically get what all 3 of the above are
doing. The reason why you're having trouble is probably because you
don't know what the ingredients are -- what's a mip level, what's a
ring index, what's fence, what's a winsys, what's a "emit vertex", all
in the context of the relevant drivers. If you know what all these
things are, the above commits become much clearer. But having to
describe each of those things every time would ... not fly :)

You can usually tell a cleanup/hypothetical fix apart from a real fix
by seeing if it (a) references a bugzilla, (b) mentions a commit it
fixes, or (c) cc'd to stable.

  -ilia