Bug in uninorth-agp.c parsing of module parameter uninorth_agp.aperture

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Sun Feb 15 18:51:05 PST 2015

On 16.02.2015 03:27, Jochen Rollwagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i found a bug in uninorth-agp.c, function uninorth_fetch_size.
>
> the line
>
> size = memparse(aperture, &aperture) >> 20;
>
> always sets size to zero which makes the driver allocate the default
> size of 256 MB which is obviously too large for older uninorth
> revisions.

Sounds like the default should be lower for older UniNorth revisions.
Can you make a patch for that?

> I split the line into memparse and shifting and inserted diagnostic
> messages, output with uninorth_agp.aperture = 32 as boot parameter:
>
> Feb 15 19:12:44 mac-mini kernel: [    2.568636] agpgart-uninorth
> 0000:00:0b.0: size in uninorth_fetch_size after memparse: 32 Feb 15
> 19:12:44 mac-mini kernel: [    2.568642] agpgart-uninorth
> 0000:00:0b.0: size after >> 20: 0

Following your memparse link to
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/lib/cmdline.c#L127 , you can see
that the memparse function supports suffices such as 'M' or 'm'; without
suffix, the size is interpreted as bytes.

So you need something like uninorth_agp.aperture=32m .