[Intel-gfx] i915 ERRORs and WARN_ON()s

David Weinehall david.weinehall at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 29 10:30:15 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 04:27:08AM +0200, Florian Zumbiehl wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > The Bugzilla at https://bugs.freedesktop.org is our tool of choice for
> > tracking bugs in drm/i915. It's your choice to not create an account
> > there, but please, don't expect us to work as a proxy between you and
> > bugzilla either. It's a much bigger and unscalable inconvenience for us
> > than it is for you to create that account.
>
> Hu? I don't quite get it. Communicating via email is an unscalable
> inconvenience? So, if I asked you to create an account with my todo tracker
> instead, would that be more scalable and convenient? Using everyone's
> software of choice instead of my own most certainly is neither scalable nor
> convenient for me at all.

I think you're missing the point here. First of all, your bug report
isn't the only bug report. If all bug reports were posted here rather
than reported in our bug tracker, it would definitely be more likely
that some bugs would get lost. It works for small projects with a low
influx of bug reports, but it's less convenient for larger projects.
This is the scalability factor.

Second of all, convenience. Your convenience, while of course a
consideration, isn't the primary concern. The convenience of the
developers is.  You're reporting one bug, but the developers here
have to keep track of, and fix, hundreds (and that's on top of
new features, support for new platforms, test cases, and performance
improvements).

If we were asking for support for software you develop, you'd obviously
be the one to set the rules (and yes, that includes your TODO tracker,
closed forums or what not). Reporting bugs in a bug tracking system
isn't exactly a novelty. Rather the opposite.

Kind regards, David Weinehall