[Intel-gfx] i915 ERRORs and WARN_ON()s

Florian Zumbiehl florz at florz.de
Fri Apr 29 02:27:08 UTC 2016

Hi,

> The Bugzilla at https://bugs.freedesktop.org is our tool of choice for
> tracking bugs in drm/i915. It's your choice to not create an account
> there, but please, don't expect us to work as a proxy between you and
> bugzilla either. It's a much bigger and unscalable inconvenience for us
> than it is for you to create that account.

Hu? I don't quite get it. Communicating via email is an unscalable
inconvenience? So, if I asked you to create an account with my todo tracker
instead, would that be more scalable and convenient? Using everyone's
software of choice instead of my own most certainly is neither scalable nor
convenient for me at all.

> > You mean the ones I reported a month ago should be fixed? Should I try a
> > newer nightly to check?
>
> Yes, please.
>
> I'd also like to get a full dmesg from you, with drm.debug=14 module
> parameter set, all the way from boot to the problem.

http://rain.dyn.florz.de/drm-intel-nightly_1101e5fcc_dmesg.txt

Doesn't look much different than the one from a month ago (except much more
verbose, obviously), unfortunately, and the Xv stuttering also persists.

> However, personally I find it a bit obnoxious to send big logs by mail
> to hundreds or thousands of other people on the lists who really aren't
> at all interested in them. Maybe you don't mind bothering them? It's
> also not good to hide it away in my private inbox alone, because there
> are other developers who will be interested. It has also proven to be
> problematic to upload files to pastebins etc. where they expire at some
> point in time, usually when we'd like to have a look.
>
> Again, the obvious solution to the above is to file that bug and attach
> the dmesg there, at the unfortunate slight inconvenience of you creating
> an account there.

The obvious solution is to have a bug tracker that interfaces to email? I
mean, it's essentially a messaging system with per-thread group membership
(plus some management functionality that's mostly irrelevant to me), just
with its own account system and user interface instead of a standardized
SMTP interface so I can use the MUA of my choice. It's like if I were to
ask you to write replies to me into a web form I host somewhere instead of
using the reply function of your MUA, plus you'd first have to create an
account, of course.

Regards, Florian