[adv7511] Adding audio to transmitter driver

Jose Abreu Jose.Abreu at synopsys.com
Mon Feb 15 19:13:11 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I am an employee at Synopsys and as part of our IP Prototyping Kits we are adding audio support to the ADV7511 HDMI transmitter. Our work is based on the Analog Devices kernel tree available at: https://github.com/analogdevicesinc/linux/blob/xcomm_zynq/drivers/gpu/drm/i2c/adv7511_audio.c.

Currently we are facing an difficulty regarding the organization of the driver. Analog Devices compiles both audio and video in a single global driver but we were wondering if its better to separate audio from video and make them as separate Kconfig entries.

As we expect to introduce this in the mainline we are asking you for suggestions or comments about this matter. Is it any driver in the mainline that faces the same situation so we can base our work? What do you think its the best solution? Enable audio and video at the same time or make them separate entries?

Best regards,
Jose Miguel Abreu