AMD: amdgpu/radeonsi support for mobile FirePro?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 12:17:37 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 8, 2016 at 3:00 PM, Alex G.S. <alxgrtnstrngl at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Radeon Devs,
>
> What's the support status of the  AMD FirePro W5170M and AMD FirePro W5130M.
> I'm confused as to whether these will support 'radeonsi' or 'amdgpu'.  After
> doing exhaustive research I've come across codenames like Tropo XT/LE and
> Mars XT/LE.  On some forums a pci-id was mentioned '6821' but I can't find
> this anywhere in the pcidb lists in either 'xf86-video-amdgpu' or
> 'xf86-video-ati'.
>
> When I looked at the the Radeon feature matrix on [1] I'm unable to
> categorize these two GPU models into any of the categories S.Islands,
> C.Islands or V.Islands.  So are these GPU's supported by 'radeonsi' or by
> 'amdgpu'?  If they're 'radeonsi' what's the support like for those models,
> can I expect relatively good performance?

The are Cape Verde based asics (Southern Islands family).  They are
supported by the radeon kernel module and they use the radeonsi mesa
driver for 3D, etc.  amdgpu is a kernel driver for VI (Volcanic
Islands) and newer parts.  The radeonsi mesa driver supports SI and CI
parts supported by the radeon kernel driver and VI parts supported by
the amdgpu kernel driver.

Alex