DRM device memory writeback (Mali-DP)

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Jul 15 17:42:01 UTC 2016

Ville Syrjälä <ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 10:09:19AM +0100, Brian Starkey wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Thanks for taking a look.
>>
>> (+Cc Laurent)

>> >This might or might not need a separate interface. There are efforts to
>> >make the intel kms validation tests in i-g-t generic (well under way
>> >already), and part of that is creating a generic infrastructure to capture
>> >display CRCs for functional tests (still in progress).
>> >
>> >But it might be better if userspace abstracts between full readback and
>> >display CRC, assuming we can make full writeback cross-vendor enough for
>> >that use-case.
>> >

>> I'd lean towards the userspace abstraction.
>> Encumbering a simple CRC interface with all the complexity of
>> full-writeback (size, scaling, pixel format, multi-planar etc.) sounds
>> a bit unnecessary.
>>
>> Of course, if v4l2 isn't going to be the cross-vendor full-writeback
>> implementation, then we need to be aiming to use whatever _is_ in
>> the mali-dp driver.

>> >That's perfectly fine atomic_check behaviour. Only trouble is that the v4l
>> >locking must integrate into the drm locking, but that should be doable.
>> >Worst case you must shadow all v4l locks with a wait/wound
>> >drm_modeset_lock to avoid deadlocks (since you could try to grab locks
>> >from either end).
>> >

>> Yes, I haven't looked at the details of the locking but I'm hoping
>> it's manageable.

>> >For streaming a V4L2 capture device seems like the right interface. But if
>> >you want to use writeback in your compositor you must know which atomic
>> >kms update results in which frame, since if you don't you can't use that
>> >composited buffer for the next frame reliable.
>> >
>> >For that case I think a drm-only solution would be better, to make sure
>> >you can do an atomic update and writeback in one step. v4l seems to grow
>> >an atomic api of its own, but I don't think we'll have one spanning
>> >subsystems anytime soon.
>> >

>> I've been thinking about this from the point of view of a HWComposer
>> implementation and I think the hybrid DRM-V4L2 device would work OK.
>> However it depends on the behaviour I mentioned above:

>> V4L2 buffer queues are FIFO, so as long as the compositor queues only
>> one V4L2 buffer per atomic update, there's no ambiguity.
>> In the most simplistic case the compositor would alternate between:
>>   - Queue V4L2 buffer
>>   - DRM atomic update
>> ... and dequeue either in the same thread or a different one. As long
>> as the compositor keeps track of how many buffers it has queued and
>> how many atomic updates it's made, it doesn't really matter.
>>
>> We'd probably be looking to add in V4L2 asynchronous dequeue using
>> fences for synchronisation, but that's a separate issue.
>>
>> >For the kms-only interface the idea was to add a property on the crtc
>> >where you can attach a writeback drm_framebuffer. Extending that idea to
> [...]

This is what I've been thinking for vc4's writeback as well.  I
definitely want my writeback to be using the same drivers/gpu/drm/vc4
code for setting up the hardware.  And, since I expect writeback to be
mostly used by compositors for the case where a frame exceeds bandwidth
constraints, I want userspace to be able to use the same DRM APIs for
setting up the frame to be written back as it was trying to use for
setting up the frame before.