Summer of Code Ideas

Pierre Moreau pierre.morrow at free.fr
Thu Mar 17 22:04:36 UTC 2016

Hello Abheek,

Sorry for the long delay.

So, things have changed a bit since last year idea. You should now be able to
start kernels on most generations, atomic operations are supported and image is
in the work. Regarding the compiler, Hans de Goede started working on compiling
LLVM IR to TGSI, which would make it possible to feed OpenCL kernels in a TGSI
form to Nouveau, and I have been working on compiling SPIR-V to Nouveau's IR
(NV50 IR).

On the SPIR-V side, there are some things that shouldn't be too difficult and
some which might take some time, but I have no idea what would fit a GSoC
project (and I am not really planning to be a mentor).

I don't know if Hans has any plans regarding GSoC.
The SPIR-V that I'm using, is generated by LLVM. But that compilation pass,
from LLVM IR to SPIR-V, is a work in progress. Since LLVM is also part of the
GSoC program, you could ask them; that work would benefit to Nouveau, and
possibly other drivers as well. However that task, I would guess, is a quite
difficult one.

Regards,
Pierre Moreau