[GIT PULL] omapdrm changes for 4.7

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed May 11 20:16:23 UTC 2016

On 10 May 2016 at 07:18, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
> Hi Emil,
>
> On 09/05/16 23:24, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> Hi Tomi,
>>
>> On 9 May 2016 at 10:18, Tomi Valkeinen <tomi.valkeinen at ti.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> Sorry for being so late with this pull request. It contains mostly
>>> small fixes to omapdrm, so I hope it can still make it.
>>>
>>>  Tomi
>>>
>>> The following changes since commit c3b46c73264b03000d1e18b22f5caf63332547c9:
>>>
>>>   Linux 4.6-rc4 (2016-04-17 19:13:32 -0700)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>
>>>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tomba/linux.git tags/omapdrm-4.7
>>>
>>> for you to fetch changes up to 193e0f3cbd0fe8a76fa115f0f52ffbc8892f46c8:
>>>
>>>   Revert "drm/omap: no need to select OMAP2_DSS" (2016-05-09 12:11:30 +0300)

>>> omapdrm changes for v4.7
>>>
>>> * Add tilcdc and omapdrm maintainers to MAINTAINERS
>>> * Add reset-gpio and vcc-regulator support to panel-dpi
>>> * Small fixes to omapdrm

>>> Jim Lodes (2):
>>>       OMAPDSS: HDMI5: Fix AVI infoframe
>>>       OMAPDSS: HDMI5: Change DDC timings
>>>
>>> Peter Ujfalusi (2):
>>>       drm/omap: Remove deprecated regulator_can_change_voltage() usage
>>>       Revert "drm/omap: no need to select OMAP2_DSS"
>>>
>>> Tomi Valkeinen (8):
>>>       drm/omap: Fix missing includes
>>>       drm/omap: remove unneeded gpio includes
>>>       drm/omap: remove unnecessary pitch round-up
>>>       drm/omap: remove align_pitch()
>>>       drm/omap: fix pitch round-up
>>>       drm/omap: fix OMAP4 hdmi_core_powerdown_disable()
>>>       MAINTAINERS: Add maintainer for OMAP DRM driver
>>>       MAINTAINERS: Add maintainer for TI LCDC DRM driver
>>>
>>> Uwe Kleine-König (3):
>>>       devicetree/bindings: add reset-gpios and vcc-supply for panel-dpi
>> I believe that this should be acked by Thierry.
>
> That panel-dpi is omapdrm specific panel-dpi, but yes, Thierry should've
> been included in the thread.

Ahh yes. I've wrongly assumed that the file covers the DRM 'flavour'
as it's listed alongside it with Thierry as maintainer. Silly me
should not blindly trust the MAINTAINERS file.

>>>       drm/omap: panel-dpi: make (limited) use of a reset gpio
>>>       drm/omap: panel-dpi: implement support for a vcc regulator
>>>
>> /me mutters something about moving to drm panel as opposed to the omap one.
>>
>> It is on the TODO list, right ? I hope it's somewhere in the upper half of it.
>
> It's on the TODO list.
>
> I took these panel-dpi patches as they were for an already existing
> driver and looked trivial enough, but I haven't added new panel/encoder
> drivers for a while. In fact, I've been holding out from upstreaming a
> bunch of encoder/panel drivers from TI's kernel as they're omapdrm based.
>
> Moving to DRM encoders and panels is a huge change, and probably
> requires rewriting good part of omapdrm and omapdss drivers. And then
> porting all the encoder and panel drivers to DRM.
>
> So I'm not sure when I can start on that work, but even when I do, I
> expect it to take a rather long time. But I know my life would be easier
> after that change, so I very much like to make it happen.

Glad to hear that it's in the list.

>From my (never looked at the omapdrm code) POV, you might have easier
time approaching it from the other end.
Copy/create DRM bridge drivers and leave the omap ones round. Ideally
by that time people would have reworked things and nuked the DRM
encoders into orbit, at which point one can convert the omap ones and
finally slow and steadily convert omapdrm.
And finally kill the omap bridge/encoder drivers.

Just my 2c, as they say.

Regards,
Emil