X.org EVoC Ideas

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 15:48:00 UTC 2017

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Raghav Jajodia
<jajodia.raghav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I am Raghav Jajodia, an Engineering student from India. While going through
> the X.org foundation, I felt that X.org is a great community for new Open
> Source developers. I am deeply interested in being a part of the community.
> Although, while going through the GSoC and EVoC Ideas, I found that all the
> ideas revolve around C, C++, QT or Compilers.
>
> Working extensively on Web, Moile and Desktop applications, I have gained
> good experience with Python, JS, PHP, Ruby etc. But I do not have any
> experience with C/C++.
>
> So, is not possible for a student to participate in EVoC if he doesn't have
> any experience with Open source softwares built on C/C++. Are there any
> project ideas using languages apart from C/C++ that a student can work on
> for EVoC 17/18?

Hi, the only requirement regarding programming languages is that
"Applicants know their target programming language."..  there isn't
any requirement otherwise, but I think the fast majority are largely
C/C++.  There are bits of python here and there (piglit, for example..
possibly others that I don't know of).

>From a quick look all of the suggested projects involve C and/or C++.
But that doesn't mean a candidate couldn't suggest a different project
that is not on the list.

BR,
-R