[RFC 0/1] drm: Add Grain Media GM12U320 kms driver

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 10:30:24 UTC 2017

On 2 June 2017 at 17:39, Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
<marcodiegomesquita at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Emil!
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As Daniel mentioned in the earlier thread, factoring out things can be
>> done as a follow-up.
>> On the other hand, I _think_ that the blocker for this driver that
>> it's not doing atomic mode setting.
>>

> I've been looking on other small drivers to see how complicated would
> it be to use the simple pipe framework. Both mxsfb and tinydrm do
> atomic mode setting. It looks like some changes would be needed like
> using the cma allocator and calling other specific functions tu do
> atomic mode setting.
>
> Can you point to a simple patch that implements one of these "conversions"?

TinyDRM is a helper/library which can be used to write a DRM driver
driving 'simple' hardware.
IIRC one of the ideas was to use it, as a reference you can skim
through the latest driver [nor merged yet] that utilises the helper
[1].

Additionally the latest two drivers coverted to atomic seems to be:
 - vmwgfx [2] - a bit more complex driver, many changed squashed in
 - qxl [3] - simpler driver, but still more complex than gm12u320, a
nice gradual conversion

Additionally, feel free to join #dri-devel at FreeNode.

Hope that helps,
Emil

[1] https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dri-devel/2017-June/143357.html
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/log/drivers/gpu/drm/vmwgfx?h=v4.12-rc4