[git pull] drm for v4.15

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Nov 16 17:17:42 UTC 2017

On 16/11/17 05:59 AM, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> There's something odd about drm people. You guys like these completely
> insane generated header files, and you seem to be populating the whole
> tree with this odd and diseased notion of "generated header files are
> cool".
>
> Is somebody getting paid by line of code?

At least in the case of amdgpu, it's more like nobody's getting paid to
write/maintain register header files by hand full-time. I hope you can
agree nobody should have to do that.

The headers are generated from the same database used for other OSes,
which minimizes the potential for error. We used hand-written headers in
the radeon driver, and there was a fair number of bugs due to subtle
errors in them.