[git pull] drm for v4.15

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 20:57:30 UTC 2017

On 16 November 2017 at 14:59, Linus Torvalds
> On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 6:34 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is some code touched on sound/soc, but I think the sound tree
>> should have the same commits from the same base,so this may luck different
>> if you pulled it as I generated my pull request a couple of days ago. Otherwise
>> the highlights are below.
>
> I'm more curious about (and disgusted by) this one:
>
>   include/dt-bindings/msm/msm-bus-ids.h
>
> wtf? It's full of defines that aren't actually used anywhere.  Which
> is just as well, since it doesn't seem to be included from anything
> either.
>
> There's something odd about drm people. You guys like these completely
> insane generated header files, and you seem to be populating the whole
> tree with this odd and diseased notion of "generated header files are
> cool".
>
> Is somebody getting paid by line of code?

It would still cost less than transcribing each register and all it's fields by
hand from pdfs generated from the same place.

This sounds more like a Monty Python sketch than a serious question. (In
my day we hard transcribed 1000s of register by hand before breakfast, and
then we ate the pdf printouts for breakfast).

The sheer size of those headers should be proof enough that they shouldn't
be handcrafted.

Next thing you'll be telling people to get off your lawn!

But this seems like Rob dropped the ball, he's no longer allowed run
git add without
passing every filename by hand, and I probably should have noticed
when I pulled it
but an 887 line register header file is quite small in a
+65,000,-56000 pull req.

Dave.