omapfb/dss: Delete an error message for a failed memory allocation in three functions

SF Markus Elfring elfring at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 28 10:15:37 UTC 2017

>>> Many people do not know that a generic kmalloc does a
>>> dump_stack() on OOM.
>>
>> This is another interesting information, isn't it?
>>
>> It is expected that the function “devm_kzalloc” has got a similar property.
>

> You don't have to expect this.  Go look at the definition of devm_kzalloc
> and see whether it has the property or not.

I find that the corresponding documentation of these programming interfaces
is incomplete for a desired format which could be different than C source code.

https://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.15-rc1/source/include/linux/device.h#L657
https://elixir.free-electrons.com/linux/v4.15-rc1/source/drivers/base/devres.c#L763
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/driver-api/basics.html#c.devm_kmalloc

Can the Coccinelle software help more to determine desired function properties?

>> For which hardware and software combinations would you like to see
>> facts there?
>
> This is not for Joe to decide,

This view is fine in principle.

> it's for the person who receives the patch to decide.

I am curious on further comments from these contributors.

> You could start with the ones for which the code actually compiles,
> using the standard make file and no special options, and a
> recent version of gcc.

The variation space could become too big to handle for me (alone).
How will this aspect evolve further?

Regards,
Markus