[ANNOUNCE] libdrm 2.4.94

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Aug 31 08:22:22 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 06:37:35PM +0200, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On 2018-08-24 6:27 p.m., Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
> >
> > I don't know what all is pending for libdrm, but I know that we've
> > agreed on a very low bar for when to release libdrm:
> >
> >    "The release criteria for libdrm is essentially "if you need a release,
> >     make one".  There is no designated release engineer or maintainer.
> >     Anybody is free to make a release if there's a certain feature or bug
> >     fix they need in a released version of libdrm."
>
> First of all, let me assure you that I'm not picking on you in
> particular, this applies to anybody who makes a release.
>
> Quite frankly, that sucks. :) A brief "heads up, I'm cutting a libdrm
> release, let me know if there's something you want in it" e-mail at
> least 24 hours (not counting weekend days) before making the release
> shouldn't be asking too much.

Given that making a libdrm release is pretty much for free I'm not sure
about the concern. We've had plenty of back-to-back libdrm releases. Since
libdrm is supposed to be always in release state (it's mostly just headers
and simple wrappers) I don't see a downside aside from "looks mildly
silly" :-)

If we'd have a libdrm release maintainer that'd be different, but no one
volunteered (and for years) so that's unlikely to change.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation