DRM Inquiry

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Thu May 24 11:23:27 UTC 2018

On Thu, 24 May 2018, John Sledge <john_sledget at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I was able to update my kernel to 4.6 which has the DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV
> in the Kconfig file linux-4.6\drivers\gpu\drm. Though I also
> add DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV=y in  kernel config. When invoke uname -r, I
> could see that the kernel is now 4.6.

If you're updating kernels, why not update to a recent kernel that's
actually supported...?

> How can I verify the DRM_DP_AUX_CHARDEV takes effect or got configure
> it correctly?

Boot the kernel, run 'ls /dev/drm_dp_aux*'. If you see stuff, you got it
right.

> It still unclear to me how to follow what you mean by using DRM DP AUX
> interface and getting /dev/drm_dp_auxN node(s) that allows me to read
> and write arbitrary DPCD offsets.

The device is a char device you can open, seek to an offset (which would
be the DPCD offset), and read. For testing, you can achieve the same
using dd.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center