[RFC] Getting OpenChrome DRM mainlined into Linux kernel tree

Kevin Brace kevinbrace at gmx.com
Wed Jan 9 17:09:00 UTC 2019

Hi Sean,

I do recall seeing you at XDC2017, I do not believe I spoke with you at the event.
I will not name the name, but I had one developer who strongly asked me to convert to atomic mode setting, but I refused due to the state of the code at the time.
Now, the KMS device support is mostly comparable to the existing UMS code path, so I can soon consider implementing universal plane and atomic mode setting.
I am okay with the OpenChrome DRM not being activated initially (i.e., Displaying "(Experimental)" status when running menuconfig), but I do want it directly inserted into the DRM tree from day one after the code is pulled in. (i.e., not getting inserted into the "staging" tree)
I believe the current code quality is good enough for this arrangement.

Regards,

Kevin Brace
Brace Computer Laboratory blog
https://bracecomputerlab.com