[RFC] Getting OpenChrome DRM mainlined into Linux kernel tree

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Jan 9 20:39:45 UTC 2019

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:09:00PM +0100, Kevin Brace wrote:
> Hi Sean,
>
> I do recall seeing you at XDC2017, I do not believe I spoke with you at
> the event.  I will not name the name, but I had one developer who
> strongly asked me to convert to atomic mode setting, but I refused due
> to the state of the code at the time.

That was at least me and Ben Skeggs. No point playing games, we're doing
open discussions here in the gpu subsystem.

> Now, the KMS device support is mostly comparable to the existing UMS
> code path, so I can soon consider implementing universal plane and
> atomic mode setting.  I am okay with the OpenChrome DRM not being
> activated initially (i.e.,
> Displaying "(Experimental)" status when running menuconfig), but I do
> want it directly inserted into the DRM tree from day one after the code
> is pulled in. (i.e., not getting inserted into the "staging" tree) I
> believe the current code quality is good enough for this arrangement.

Given how much cleaner the atomic helpers are, and how much simpler the
resulting drivers tend to be, I still think that's a bad idea. We do have
vboxvideo merged into staging, which still a non-atomic driver, but I
don't think that's helping anyone. It's definitely hurting refactoring to
have a driver outside of drm. And within drm imo a new non-atomic driver
doesn't make sense.

I've also never seen the code yet on dri-devel, so can't really give more
specific advise.

Cheers, Daniel

> Regards,
>
> Kevin Brace
> Brace Computer Laboratory blog
> https://bracecomputerlab.com
>

> > Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:07 PM
> > From: "Sean Paul" <seanpaul at chromium.org>
> > To: kevinbrace at gmx.com
> > Cc: "Dave Airlie" <airlied at gmail.com>, dri-devel <dri-devel at lists.freedesktop.org>, openchrome-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> > Subject: Re: [RFC] Getting OpenChrome DRM mainlined into Linux kernel tree
> >
> > I think I was one of those developers asking you to switch to atomic
> > (iirc, i encouraged you to start working on kms instead of ums). I
> > know this is a personal project that you've been working on in your
> > spare time (which is awesome!), so while I still encourage you to
> > convert the driver, I don't have a problem with you doing the
> > conversion in mainline. I think hiding under staging until the
> > conversion is complete is a pretty reasonable compromise.
> >
> > Sean

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
http://blog.ffwll.ch