[RFC] Getting OpenChrome DRM mainlined into Linux kernel tree

Sean Paul sean at poorly.run
Wed Jan 9 20:51:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 09:39:45PM +0100, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 06:09:00PM +0100, Kevin Brace wrote:
> > Hi Sean,
> >
> > I do recall seeing you at XDC2017, I do not believe I spoke with you at
> > the event.  I will not name the name, but I had one developer who
> > strongly asked me to convert to atomic mode setting, but I refused due
> > to the state of the code at the time.
>
> That was at least me and Ben Skeggs. No point playing games, we're doing
> open discussions here in the gpu subsystem.
>
> > Now, the KMS device support is mostly comparable to the existing UMS
> > code path, so I can soon consider implementing universal plane and
> > atomic mode setting.  I am okay with the OpenChrome DRM not being
> > activated initially (i.e.,
> > Displaying "(Experimental)" status when running menuconfig), but I do
> > want it directly inserted into the DRM tree from day one after the code
> > is pulled in. (i.e., not getting inserted into the "staging" tree) I
> > believe the current code quality is good enough for this arrangement.
>
> Given how much cleaner the atomic helpers are, and how much simpler the
> resulting drivers tend to be, I still think that's a bad idea. We do have
> vboxvideo merged into staging, which still a non-atomic driver, but I
> don't think that's helping anyone. It's definitely hurting refactoring to
> have a driver outside of drm. And within drm imo a new non-atomic driver
> doesn't make sense.

Yeah, given the pain experienced with vboxvideo in the past half-year, I'd
like to reverse my statement from June and vote against putting this in
staging.

We've waited this long for the openchrome stuff, we can probably wait a bit
longer until it's at least basically atomic.

Sean

> I've also never seen the code yet on dri-devel, so can't really give more
> specific advise.
>
> Cheers, Daniel
>

> > Regards,
> >
> > Kevin Brace
> > Brace Computer Laboratory blog
> > https://bracecomputerlab.com
> >

> > > Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:07 PM
> > > From: "Sean Paul" <seanpaul at chromium.org>
> > > To: kevinbrace at gmx.com
> > > Cc: "Dave Airlie" <airlied at gmail.com>, dri-devel <dri-devel at lists.freedesktop.org>, openchrome-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> > > Subject: Re: [RFC] Getting OpenChrome DRM mainlined into Linux kernel tree
> > >
> > > I think I was one of those developers asking you to switch to atomic
> > > (iirc, i encouraged you to start working on kms instead of ums). I
> > > know this is a personal project that you've been working on in your
> > > spare time (which is awesome!), so while I still encourage you to
> > > convert the driver, I don't have a problem with you doing the
> > > conversion in mainline. I think hiding under staging until the
> > > conversion is complete is a pretty reasonable compromise.
> > >
> > > Sean

> --
> Daniel Vetter
> Software Engineer, Intel Corporation
> http://blog.ffwll.ch

Sean Paul, Software Engineer, Google / Chromium OS