[RFC] Expanding drm_mode_modeinfo flags

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Fri Jul 19 14:15:28 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 09:55:58AM -0400, Sean Paul wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:05:53AM +0200, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> > > I believe you are referring to the below tv property of the connector.
> > >
> > > /**
> > >  * @tv_flicker_reduction_property: Optional TV property to control the
> > >  * flicker reduction mode.
> > >  */
> > > struct drm_property *tv_flicker_reduction_property;
> >
> > Not even close :-)
> >
> > I mean the DRM_MODE_ATOMIC_ALLOW_MODESET flag for the atomic ioctl. This
> > is not a property of a mode, this is a property of a _transition_ between
> > configurations. Some transitions can be done flicker free, others can't.
>
> Agree that an atomic flag on a commit is the way to accomplish this. It's pretty
> similar to the psr transitions, where we want to reuse most of the atomic
> circuitry, but in a specialized way. We'd also have to be careful to only
> involve the drm objects which are seamless modeset aware (you could imagine
> a bridge chain where the bridges downstream of the first bridge don't care).
>

> > There's then still the question of how to pick video vs command mode, but
> > imo better to start with implementing the transition behaviour correctly
> > first.
>
> Connector property? Possibly a terrible idea, but I wonder if we could [re]use
> the vrr properties for command mode. The docs state that the driver has the
> option of putting upper and lower bounds on the refresh rate.

Not really sure why this needs new props and whatnot. This is kinda what
the i915 "fastset" stuff already does:
1. userspace asks for something to be changed via atomic
2. driver calculates whether a modeset is actually required
3. atomic validates need_modeset() vs. DRM_MODE_ATOMIC_ALLOW_MODESET
4. if (need_modeset) heavyweight_commit() else lightweight_commit()

Ie. why should userspace really care about anything except the
"flickers are OK" vs. "flickers not wanted" thing?

Also what's the benefit of using video mode if your panel supportes
command mode? Can you turn off the memory in the panel and actually
save power that way? And if there is a benefit can't the driver just
automagically switch between the two based on how often things are
getting updated? That would match how eDP PSR already works.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel