[RFC] Expanding drm_mode_modeinfo flags

Sean Paul sean at poorly.run
Fri Jul 19 14:29:59 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 05:15:28PM +0300, Ville Syrjälä wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 09:55:58AM -0400, Sean Paul wrote:

/snip

> > > Not even close :-)
> > >
> > > I mean the DRM_MODE_ATOMIC_ALLOW_MODESET flag for the atomic ioctl. This
> > > is not a property of a mode, this is a property of a _transition_ between
> > > configurations. Some transitions can be done flicker free, others can't.
> >
> > Agree that an atomic flag on a commit is the way to accomplish this. It's pretty
> > similar to the psr transitions, where we want to reuse most of the atomic
> > circuitry, but in a specialized way. We'd also have to be careful to only
> > involve the drm objects which are seamless modeset aware (you could imagine
> > a bridge chain where the bridges downstream of the first bridge don't care).
> >

> > > There's then still the question of how to pick video vs command mode, but
> > > imo better to start with implementing the transition behaviour correctly
> > > first.
> >
> > Connector property? Possibly a terrible idea, but I wonder if we could [re]use
> > the vrr properties for command mode. The docs state that the driver has the
> > option of putting upper and lower bounds on the refresh rate.
>
> Not really sure why this needs new props and whatnot. This is kinda what
> the i915 "fastset" stuff already does:
> 1. userspace asks for something to be changed via atomic
> 2. driver calculates whether a modeset is actually required
> 3. atomic validates need_modeset() vs. DRM_MODE_ATOMIC_ALLOW_MODESET
> 4. if (need_modeset) heavyweight_commit() else lightweight_commit()
>
> Ie. why should userspace really care about anything except the
> "flickers are OK" vs. "flickers not wanted" thing?

Agree, I don't think the seamless modeset (ie: changing resolution without
flicker) needs a property. Just need to test the commit without ALLOW_MODESET
and commit it if the test passes.

> Also what's the benefit of using video mode if your panel supportes
> command mode? Can you turn off the memory in the panel and actually
> save power that way? And if there is a benefit can't the driver just
> automagically switch between the two based on how often things are
> getting updated? That would match how eDP PSR already works.

I'm guessing video mode might have some latency benefits over command mode?

Sean

--
Sean Paul, Software Engineer, Google / Chromium OS