RFC: Run a dedicated hmm.git for 5.3

Jason Gunthorpe jgg at mellanox.com
Thu Jun 6 15:25:49 UTC 2019

On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 04:12:47PM -0300, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sat, May 25, 2019 at 03:52:10PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 May 2019 09:44:55 -0300 Jason Gunthorpe <jgg at ziepe.ca> wrote:
> >
> > > Now that -mm merged the basic hmm API skeleton I think running like
> > > this would get us quickly to the place we all want: comprehensive in tree
> > > users of hmm.
> > >
> > > Andrew, would this be acceptable to you?
> >
> > Sure.  Please take care not to permit this to reduce the amount of
> > exposure and review which the core HMM pieces get.
>
> Certainly, thanks all
>
> Jerome: I started a HMM branch on v5.2-rc2 in the rdma.git here:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rdma/rdma.git/log/?h=hmm

I did a first round of collecting patches for hmm.git

Andrew, I'm checking linux-next and to stay co-ordinated, I see the
patches below are in your tree and now also in hmm.git. Can you please
drop them from your tree?

5b693741de2ace mm/hmm.c: suppress compilation warnings when CONFIG_HUGETLB_PAGE is not set
b2870fb882599a mm/hmm.c: only set FAULT_FLAG_ALLOW_RETRY for non-blocking
dff7babf8ae9f1 mm/hmm.c: support automatic NUMA balancing

I checked that the other two patches in -next also touching hmm.c are
best suited to go through your tree:

a76b9b318a7180 mm/devm_memremap_pages: fix final page put race
fc64c058d01b98 mm/memremap: rename and consolidate SECTION_SIZE

StephenR: Can you pick up the hmm branch from rdma.git for linux-next for
this cycle? As above we are moving the patches from -mm to hmm.git, so
there will be a conflict in -next until Andrew adjusts his tree,
thanks!

Regards,
Jason
(hashes are from today's linux-next)