Cleanup of -Wunused-const-variable in drivers/gpu/drm/msm/disp/dpu1/dpu_formats.c

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Fri Jun 14 07:17:10 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 01:52:02PM -0700, Rob Clark wrote:
> so, for dpu_format_map_tile, I'd like to define a fourcc modifier for
> tiled formats (we currently have a workaround in userspace w/ a
> private modifier in the gallium driver).. I think the problem is
> defining the layout of the tiled format(s) (there are at least two per
> generation and I can't guarantee they are the same across adreno
> generations).  We've mostly avoided needing to know the exact layout
> by using gpu blits to go from tiled<->linear so far.
>
> For the others, those look like formats we haven't wired up yet.
>
> I'd say they are all things we want to support eventually, although
> not sure what the timeline will be..  but I'd ask if you remove them
> then split into at least a separate patch for dpu_format_map_tile vs
> others, so we can more easily revert/amend to bring them back.

We've been kinda cheating on this with i915 modifiers too, X/Y tiled
depend upon the chip you're running on :-) But on all modern chips it's a
lot more well-defined, so probably not a huge problem.

I think there's little chance right now for adreno to become a discrete
gpu, so could do the same tricky. If it ever becomes discrete or we want
to share more, then we'd need to bake in the layout properly I think.

I guess the question is: Is the format shared with e.g. camera blocks, or
purely a freedreno internal thing.
-Daniel

--
Daniel Vetter