[PULL] topic/hdr-formats

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Mon Mar 11 18:02:57 UTC 2019

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 01:52:13PM -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Mon, 2019-03-11 at 12:19 +0100, Maarten Lankhorst wrote:
> > Hey,

> > > Could you also add Kevin Strasser's patch for FP16 formats? For that
> > > matter I'd like to see FP32 added too, but I don't think there's been a
> > > patch sent for that yet.
> >
> > Added kevin to CC.
> >
> > Is the mesa side considered completely reviewed then?
>
> Is that strictly necessary for just adding a fourcc? I get wanting to
> see a real userspace consumer first, but this is just allocating some
> magic numbers not promising that a certain ioctl behaves a certain way.

It's a bit a grey area, since uapi/drm/drm_fourcc.h is both a simple magic
number registry for userspace and also the source of truth for what that's
supposed to mean for AddFB. Which is uapi. Having the full mesa->kms
pipeline gives a bit more assurance we didn't flip something somewhere by
accident or some other silliness.

So for i915.ko stuff we've been pretty strict with this, just to make sure
we don't ship broken stuff. But we definitely merged other patches without
anything being able to consume/produce those formats in userspace (well
anything open source at least), fitting the magic number registry.

Imo this is an area each driver team can decide on how they want to handle
it (with my maintainer hat on).
-Daniel

> That said, I did say r-b for the Mesa series as a whole. Daniel Stone
> had some comments on 13/13 that made it sound like it (that specific
> patch) was unnecessary/undesirable, but everything before that looked
> great to me, and even if we only merged the first 12 we'd still have
> FP16 wired through for the gbm EGL platform, meaning HDR scanout could
> actually be a thing.
>
> - ajax

Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation