Missing Thunderbolt 3 PCI-E atomics support

Dieter Nützel Dieter at nuetzel-hh.de
Fri Mar 15 19:46:11 UTC 2019

Hello to both of you, Tim and Mika,

sorry that I step in so late, but after I've read that Tim's laptop
didn't have PCIe atomics (is it realy PCIe 2.xx?) I have some hints,
too. Question: Is PCIe 3.xx+ needed together with Thunderbold 3 or is
PCIe 2.xx enaugth (like Tim's laptop)?

If Tim's laptop is realy only PCIe 2.xx (_without_ atomics) like mine
'old' Intel Xeon X3470 (3400 Series Chipset) _without_ atomics you/we
only have the option running Clover or AMD-pro's OpenCL. ROCm isn't an
option with Polaris (20/RX580, here), currently. But we had some
questions about AMD (Polaris) running as eGPU on one of our lists
(mesa-devel / dri-devel / amd-gfx), lately.

I've CC'ed Alex.

Have a look here (ROCm 2.2), too:
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/1086267-radeon-rocm-2-2-released-with-vega-20-optimization-caffe2-multi-gpu-training?p=1086387#post1086387

Greetings,