liboutput: thoughts about shared library on top of DRM/KMS

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 8 23:38:22 UTC 2019

Neil Armstrong <narmstrong at baylibre.com> writes:

> Seeing the description, it seems to be a libdrm with steroids,
> why libdrm doesn't handle all this already ?

That'd be a lot of steroids; we're talking about creating helper
functions all the way up to rendering images into scanout buffers
(presumably using Vulkan?) for format conversion or flattening.

> Is there a plan to maybe use it as a foundation for projects like
> wlroots or drm_hwcomposer for example ?

Yes, the goal is to start to share code across a wide range of DRM
users, instead of having everyone roll their own.

--
-keith