Etnaviv issues on i.MX8M-Mini

Guido Günther agx at sigxcpu.org
Tue Mar 3 15:59:14 UTC 2020

Hi,
On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 11:43:14AM +0000, Schrempf Frieder wrote:
> On 02.03.20 09:44, Frieder Schrempf wrote:

> >> Newer mxsfb supports attaching a bridge so if you make your DSI host
> >> controller driver a DSI bridge mxsfb can drive it:
> >>

> >> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/gpu/drm/mxsfb/mxsfb_drv.c#n268
> >>

> >> this should be similar to what was done for the imx8mq here (imx8mm
> >> users a different ip core though):
> >>

> >> https://source.puri.sm/guido.gunther/linux-imx8/commits/forward-upstream/next-20200217/mxsfb+nwl/v9-wip
> >>

> >> There's also some additional mxsfb patches by Robert floating around
> >> which aren't mainline yet which the above branch also has.
> >>
> >> Which reminds me that i need to prepare and send out a v9.
> >
> > Thanks Lucas and Guido for pointing out the details!
> > It's very unfortunate that i.MX8MQ and i.MX8MM don't share the same DSI
> > ip core.
> > It seems like I need to try coming up with a bridge driver for the
> > Samsung DSIM DSI controller for a proper upstream solution.
>
> Sorry to bother you with one more question from a DRM newbie.
>
> I'm currently looking at Guido's code for the NWL DSI bridge and trying
> to convert the NXP SEC DSIM host driver to a bridge driver.
>
> The NWL driver uses mipi_dsi_host_register(), which searches for a
> output (panel) child node under the DSI bridge's node [1] as described
> in the bindings example [2].
>
> How is this supposed to work in a setup with another bridge after the
> DSI bridge, where that bridge is not a child node of the DSI bridge, but
> only connected via the DSI bridges output port? For example I have a
> DSI->LVDS bridge, that is attached to an I2C port.

You can also attach another bridge instead of a panel. NXPs BSP uses a
driver very similar to the nwl one above and this is how they attach a
DSI->HDMI bridge:

    https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mq-evk-lcdif-adv7535.dts?h=imx_5.4.0_8dxlphantom_er#n56

Cheers,
 -- Guido