Etnaviv issues on i.MX8M-Mini

Schrempf Frieder frieder.schrempf at kontron.de
Tue Mar 3 16:27:41 UTC 2020

On 03.03.20 16:59, Guido Günther wrote:
> Hi,
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 11:43:14AM +0000, Schrempf Frieder wrote:

>>> Thanks Lucas and Guido for pointing out the details!
>>> It's very unfortunate that i.MX8MQ and i.MX8MM don't share the same DSI
>>> ip core.
>>> It seems like I need to try coming up with a bridge driver for the
>>> Samsung DSIM DSI controller for a proper upstream solution.
>>
>> Sorry to bother you with one more question from a DRM newbie.
>>
>> I'm currently looking at Guido's code for the NWL DSI bridge and trying
>> to convert the NXP SEC DSIM host driver to a bridge driver.
>>
>> The NWL driver uses mipi_dsi_host_register(), which searches for a
>> output (panel) child node under the DSI bridge's node [1] as described
>> in the bindings example [2].
>>
>> How is this supposed to work in a setup with another bridge after the
>> DSI bridge, where that bridge is not a child node of the DSI bridge, but
>> only connected via the DSI bridges output port? For example I have a
>> DSI->LVDS bridge, that is attached to an I2C port.
>
> You can also attach another bridge instead of a panel. NXPs BSP uses a
> driver very similar to the nwl one above and this is how they attach a
> DSI->HDMI bridge:
>
>      https://source.codeaurora.org/external/imx/linux-imx/tree/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx8mq-evk-lcdif-adv7535.dts?h=imx_5.4.0_8dxlphantom_er#n56

Ok, I understand how this is supposed to work, as here drm_bridge_add()
is called from probe() in the NWL bridge driver. But in your NWL driver,
drm_bridge_add() is called from nwl_dsi_host_attach() and I currently
fail to understand how this is supposed to work.

But don't mind, I figured out that difference now and call
drm_bridge_add() from probe() in my driver. There's still a lot of other
things I need to understand and in fact I'm not even sure if I have
enough time to immerse myself much deeper.

Thanks,
Frieder