[RFC v1 0/4] drm: Add support for DRM_CAP_DEFERRED_OUT_FENCE capability

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Tue Aug 10 10:57:54 UTC 2021

On 2021-08-10 10:30 a.m., Daniel Vetter wrote:

>>> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/wayland/weston/-

>>> vkms has been fixed since a while to fake high-precision timestamps like
>>> from a real display.
>> [Kasireddy, Vivek] IIUC, that might be one of the reasons why the Guest does not need
>> to have the same timestamp as that of the Host -- to work as expected.

>>> Not at the same time, but the same timestamp. And yes there is some fun
>>> there, which is I think the fundamental issue. Or at least some of the
>>> compositor experts seem to think so, and it makes sense to me.
>> [Kasireddy, Vivek] It is definitely possible that if the timestamp is messed up, then
>> the Guest repaint cycle would be affected. However, I do not believe that is the case
>> here given the debug and instrumentation data we collected and scrutinized. Hopefully,
>> compositor experts could chime in to shed some light on this matter.

>>> consistently
>>> completion
>>> when

>>> if
>>> be
>>> use.
>>> metal.
>>> start
>>> can

>>> Hm but that essentially means that the events your passing around have an
>>> even more ad-hoc implementation specific meaning: Essentially it's the
>>> kick-off for the guest's repaint loop? That sounds even worse for a kms
>>> uapi extension.
>> [Kasireddy, Vivek] The pageflip completion event/vblank event indeed serves as the
>> kick-off for a compositor's (both Guest and Host) repaint loop. AFAICT, Weston
>> works that way and even if we increase the queue depth to solve this problem, I don't
>> think it'll help because the arrival of this event always indicates to a compositor to
>> start its repaint cycle again and assume that the previous buffers are all free.
>
> I thought this is how simple compositors work, and weston has since a
> while it's own timer, which is based on the timestamp it gets (at on
> drivers with vblank support), so that it starts the repaint loop a few ms
> before the next vblank. And not immediately when it receives the old page
> flip completion event.

As long as it's a fixed timer, there's still a risk that the guest compositor repaint cycle runs too late for the host one (unless the guest cycle happens to be scheduled significantly earlier than the host one).

Note that current mutter Git main (to become the 41 release this autumn) uses dynamic scheduling of its repaint cycle based on how long the last 16 frames took to draw and present. In theory, this could automatically schedule the guest cycle early enough for the host one.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer               |               https://redhat.com