[RFC v1 0/4] drm: Add support for DRM_CAP_DEFERRED_OUT_FENCE capability

Kasireddy, Vivek vivek.kasireddy at intel.com
Wed Aug 11 07:25:19 UTC 2021

Hi Michel,

> >> [Kasireddy, Vivek] IIUC, that might be one of the reasons why the Guest does not need
> >> to have the same timestamp as that of the Host -- to work as expected.

> >> [Kasireddy, Vivek] It is definitely possible that if the timestamp is messed up, then
> >> the Guest repaint cycle would be affected. However, I do not believe that is the case
> >> here given the debug and instrumentation data we collected and scrutinized. Hopefully,
> >> compositor experts could chime in to shed some light on this matter.

> /issues/514

> this
> previous
> Lastly,

> clear
> has to
> in
> indicates
> bare-
> problem

> >> [Kasireddy, Vivek] The pageflip completion event/vblank event indeed serves as the
> >> kick-off for a compositor's (both Guest and Host) repaint loop. AFAICT, Weston
> >> works that way and even if we increase the queue depth to solve this problem, I don't
> >> think it'll help because the arrival of this event always indicates to a compositor to
> >> start its repaint cycle again and assume that the previous buffers are all free.
> >
> > I thought this is how simple compositors work, and weston has since a
> > while it's own timer, which is based on the timestamp it gets (at on
> > drivers with vblank support), so that it starts the repaint loop a few ms
> > before the next vblank. And not immediately when it receives the old page
> > flip completion event.
>
> As long as it's a fixed timer, there's still a risk that the guest compositor repaint cycle runs
> too late for the host one (unless the guest cycle happens to be scheduled significantly
> earlier than the host one).
>
> Note that current mutter Git main (to become the 41 release this autumn) uses dynamic
> scheduling of its repaint cycle based on how long the last 16 frames took to draw and
> present. In theory, this could automatically schedule the guest cycle early enough for the
> host one.
[Kasireddy, Vivek] I'd like to try it out soon; it'd be very interesting to see how Mutter
works in both Guest and Host with this new scheduling policy. Having said that, I think
there is still a need to come up with a comprehensive solution that is independent of
compositors' scheduling policies. To that end, I am thinking of splitting the pageflip
completion event into two events: vblank event (to indicate to compositor to start repaint)
and flip_done event (to indicate to release references on old FBs). Or, introduce two new
signals/fences along similar lines. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Vivek