[RFC] Make use of non-dynamic dmabuf in RDMA

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Tue Aug 24 09:32:10 UTC 2021

Am 24.08.21 um 11:06 schrieb Gal Pressman:
> On 23/08/2021 13:43, Christian König wrote:

>>> Thanks, that makes sense.

>>> Agree.
>>> IIUC, we're talking about three different exporter "types":
>>> - Dynamic with move_notify (requires ODP)
>>> - Dynamic with revoke_notify
>>> - Static
>>>
>>> Which changes do we need to make the third one work?
>> Basically none at all in the framework.
>>
>> You just need to properly use the dma_buf_pin() function when you start using a
>> buffer (e.g. before you create an attachment) and the dma_buf_unpin() function
>> after you are done with the DMA-buf.
> I replied to your previous mail, but I'll ask again.
> Doesn't the pin operation migrate the memory to host memory?

Sorry missed your previous reply.

And yes at least for the amdgpu driver we migrate the memory to host
memory as soon as it is pinned and I would expect that other GPU drivers
do something similar.

This is intentional since we don't want any P2P to video memory with
pinned objects and want to avoid to run into a situation where one
device is doing P2P to video memory while another device needs the
DMA-buf in host memory.

You can still do P2P with pinned object, it's just up to the exporting
driver if it is allowed or not.

The other option is what Daniel suggested that we have some kind of
revoke. This is essentially what our KFD is doing as well when doing
interop with 3D GFX, but from Jasons responses I have a bit of doubt
that this will actually work on the hardware level for RDMA.

Regards,
Christian.