[RFC] Make use of non-dynamic dmabuf in RDMA

John Hubbard jhubbard at nvidia.com
Tue Aug 24 17:27:23 UTC 2021

On 8/24/21 2:32 AM, Christian König wrote:
> Am 24.08.21 um 11:06 schrieb Gal Pressman:

>>> Basically none at all in the framework.
>>>
>>> You just need to properly use the dma_buf_pin() function when you start using a
>>> buffer (e.g. before you create an attachment) and the dma_buf_unpin() function
>>> after you are done with the DMA-buf.
>> I replied to your previous mail, but I'll ask again.
>> Doesn't the pin operation migrate the memory to host memory?
>
> Sorry missed your previous reply.
>
> And yes at least for the amdgpu driver we migrate the memory to host memory as soon as it is pinned
> and I would expect that other GPU drivers do something similar.

Well...for many topologies, migrating to host memory will result in a
dramatically slower p2p setup. For that reason, some GPU drivers may
want to allow pinning of video memory in some situations.

Ideally, you've got modern ODP devices and you don't even need to pin.
But if not, and you still hope to do high performance p2p between a GPU
and a non-ODP Infiniband device, then you would need to leave the pinned
memory in vidmem.

So I think we don't want to rule out that behavior, right? Or is the
thinking more like, "you're lucky that this old non-ODP setup works at
all, and we'll make it work by routing through host/cpu memory, but it
will be slow"?

thanks,
--
John Hubbard