Display notch support

Caleb Connolly caleb at connolly.tech
Mon May 3 12:13:36 UTC 2021

On 28/04/2021 8:21 am, Simon Ser wrote:
>> A solution to make this configuration generic and exposed by the kernel
>> would standardise this across Linux
> Having a KMS property for this makes sense to me.
>
> Chatting with Jani on IRC, it doesn't seem like there's any EDID or
> DisplayID block for this.
>
> Note, Android exposes a data structure [1] with:
>
> - Margin of the cut-out for each edge of the screen
> - One rectangle per edge describing the cut-out region
> - Size of the curved area for each edge of a waterfall display
>
> I haven't found anything describing the rounded corners of the display.
>
> [1]: https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/DisplayCutout

It looks like rounded corners only get a developer facing API in Android
12 [1].

However from a vendor perspective it's possible to set padding for
rounded corners [2], although this seems to mostly be a hack.

It seems like it would make sense to deal with cutouts and rounded
corners separately, cutouts are always convex where rounded corners are
always concave, they have different implications on how content should
be adjusted.

[1]:
https://developer.android.com/about/versions/12/features#rounded_corner_apis

[2]: