ttm_bo_move_sync_cleanup() issue

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Sat Apr 9 14:25:15 UTC 2022

Am 08.04.22 um 18:01 schrieb Matthew Auld:
> Hi Christian,
>
> We seem to be hitting a new issue in ttm_bo_move_sync_cleanup(), due
> to passing a NULL fence, and I guess with some recent changes this is
> now blowing up in at least dma_resv_add_fence(). Question is how
> should we handle this? Should we add a special case in
> ttm_bo_move_accel_cleanup() in case of NULL fence, and then maybe just
> always call ttm_bo_wait_free_node() and also skip the add_fence? Or
> maybe this case should rather be moved into the driver, and handled
> with something along the lines of ttm_bo_move_null()? Any thoughts
> here?

Ah, crap I though I've catched all cases where somebody wants to insert
a NULL fence into the dma_resv object.

For the short term we should probably do as you suggested, e.g. always
use ttm_bo_wait_free_node().

In the long term we should just completely nuke ttm_bo_wait_free_node()
and directly cleanup properly here.

Regards,
Christian.