How do I gather up new code to be converted as patches?

Jeffrey Hugo jeffrey.l.hugo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 17:33:02 UTC 2022

Generating a patch is "git format-patch".  This command operates on
commits in your local tree.  So you need to commit your changes to
your local tree.  The command for that is "git commit", and it works
on staged changes.  To stage changes, you need to "git add" them.
"git status" can help you visualize unstaged and staged changes.

So, if I had a change in foo.txt, I would likely use "git status" to
view that unstaged change.  Then I can stage it using "git add
foo.txt".  "git status" will then show that it is staged.  Finally, I
will do "git commit", which will ask for a commit text, and commit the
change to the tree.  I can then verify that the change is committed
using "git log".

Does that help you out, or did I misunderstand your situation?

-Jeff