drm fb helpers hotplug/resize

Thomas Zimmermann tzimmermann at suse.de
Fri Oct 7 07:58:31 UTC 2022

Hi

Am 07.10.22 um 09:15 schrieb Ville Syrjälä:

>> For the absolute size of fbdev memory, I think we should introduce a
>> module parameter in drm_fb_helper, which an option to set a default
>> value in the kernel config. It would benefit all drivers that use fbdev
>> emulation and work how overalloc works.
>>
>> If no size is given, the current approach would be used.
>>
>> I don't think resizing would work immediately. There isn't anything in
>> the check_var and set_par functions that implements the necessary atomic
>> check and commit.
>
> set_par() is the thing tht does the commit.

I know. There actually even is a commit statement in set_par, which can
restore the initial mode. My point is that it has no means of changing
the display mode. A full modeset would require us to convert the fb
screeninfo into an atomic state and commit that instead. For the fbconv
helper, I once made code to convert between the two. Leaving this here
for reference. [1][2]

Similarly, in check_var we sort out and reject all mode changes. We'd
have to change that as well.

I guess we can continue to ignore non-atomic modesetting.

Best regards
Thomas

[1]
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/tzimmermann/linux/-/commit/385161cd2d048b5cf80544bff8ced3da7a82dfa9