drm fb helpers hotplug/resize

Ville Syrjälä ville.syrjala at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 7 08:19:45 UTC 2022

On Fri, Oct 07, 2022 at 09:58:31AM +0200, Thomas Zimmermann wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 07.10.22 um 09:15 schrieb Ville Syrjälä:
>

> >> For the absolute size of fbdev memory, I think we should introduce a
> >> module parameter in drm_fb_helper, which an option to set a default
> >> value in the kernel config. It would benefit all drivers that use fbdev
> >> emulation and work how overalloc works.
> >>
> >> If no size is given, the current approach would be used.
> >>
> >> I don't think resizing would work immediately. There isn't anything in
> >> the check_var and set_par functions that implements the necessary atomic
> >> check and commit.
> >
> > set_par() is the thing tht does the commit.
> >

> I know. There actually even is a commit statement in set_par, which can
> restore the initial mode. My point is that it has no means of changing
> the display mode. A full modeset would require us to convert the fb
> screeninfo into an atomic state and commit that instead. For the fbconv
> helper, I once made code to convert between the two. Leaving this here
> for reference. [1][2]

Uff. Right, we'd probably just want to properly implemnt set_par()
then.

BTW I had a slightly different take on the bitfiled stuff.
Maybe a bit easier to extend for new formats, but full of macros:
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/patch/203189/?series=37820&rev=1

> Similarly, in check_var we sort out and reject all mode changes. We'd
> have to change that as well.

I guess we could do a TEST_ONLY commit there. Though I think
not doing that and just failing from set_par() should be fine
too.

--
Ville Syrjälä
Intel