Ongoing failure for "dim rebuild-tip"

Jani Nikula jani.nikula at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 18 11:16:24 UTC 2023

On Wed, 18 Jan 2023, Christian König <christian.koenig at amd.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> for a couple of weeks now the command "dim rebuild-tip" fails for me.
> The error message is:
>
> Merging drm-intel/drm-intel-gt-next... Applying manual fixup patch for
> drm-tip merge... patching file drivers/gpu/drm/i915/gt/uc/intel_uc_fw.c
> dim:
> dim: FAILURE: Could not merge drm-intel/drm-intel-gt-next
> dim: See the section "Resolving Conflicts when Rebuilding drm-tip"
> dim: in the drm-tip.rst documentation for how to handle this situation.
>
> This also happens on a fresh clean install of dim, so I'm pretty sure
> that this isn't a problem on my side.
>
> What can we do?

I think you should probably try to update your git. Looks like you're
using git version 2.25.1, and over the past year most people have been
using 2.34.1 or later.

There can be subtle differences either in the merge conflicts or in the
recorded conflict resolutions (git rerere) between git versions, and
sometimes a resolution from one can't be reused in another.

If we knew which exact versions we require, we could add a check in
dim. Maybe we should just randomly warn about older than
2.34.1. *shrug*.

BR,
Jani.

--
Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Graphics Center