Time for drm-ci-next?

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Wed Jun 26 17:47:43 UTC 2024

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 11:38:30AM +0300, Dmitry Baryshkov wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 09:32:44AM GMT, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> > This sounds more like you want an integration tree like drm-tip. Get msm
> > branches integrated there, done. Backmerges just for integration testing
> > are not a good idea indeed.
>
> Is it fine to get drm/msm{-fixes,-next} into drm-tip?

Should be.

> > What exactly is the issue in backmerging drm-misc-next (well through
> > drm-next really)?
>
> drm-misc-next is its own tree with separate cadence, its own bugs and
> misfeatures. But probably just picking up drm-next for the tests should
> be fine.

Well, more CI should make the situation better for everyone. And I don't
think you can avoid issues with topic branches, since usually there's
enough stuff going on that you still often need parts of drm-next. The
clean topic branches only tend to happen with other subsystems, where the
interactions are much less.

I think aim for more integration testing first with something like
drm-tip, one-off topic branches if really needed for e.g. the gitlab
version upgrade (but still prefer backmerges if that's enough) and see
where it goes?

If other trees introduce bugs it's imo much better to hit them early than
in the middle of the next merge window, which is what you'd get with
maximum amount of topic branches and tree separation. And the merge window
is already really wobbly, we need to make that better.

Cheers, Sima

--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation