EGL_MESA_screen_surface proposal

Ian Romanick idr at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 16 13:50:01 PST 2005

Jon Smirl wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:18:25 -0500, Adam Jackson <ajax at nwnk.net> wrote:
>
>>What exactly are you arguing _for_?  And how does the API Brian proposed not
>>provide it?
>
> I still haven't seen a case where you would want to force an inferior
> mode. I hadn't thought about it before today but now that I look at
> the issues I can't come up with a reason why you want to force the
> inferior mode.

I came into the discussion late, so this may not make an sense at all.
If not, please route to /dev/null...

I have a fan on my desk.  When it's on, 72Hz modes shake and give me
migraines.  In those cases I ctrl-alt-+ to a 60Hz mode.  When the fan is
off, the 72Hz modes more more crisp, so I ctrl-alt-+ to a 72Hz mode.
Given that, I need to have multiple modes available at the same
resolution at all times.  Having to restart my X-server just because I
turn my fan on or off is silly. :)