egl MESA up on dumb framebuffer

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sun May 15 20:27:23 PDT 2005

On 5/15/05, Brian Paul <brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com> wrote:
> Jon Smirl wrote:
> > I just checked in code that implements the MESA egl extensions on top
> > of an fbdev device.
> >
> > I don't think I have everything set up right for MESA maybe the mesa
> > experts can help out. It does draw but not all of the colors seem to
> > be coming out right.
> >
> > Next I'm going to look at bringing XGL up.
> >
> > Dave, maybe you can get this up on the radeon driver? It is actually
> > not that hard now that renderbuffer support is in.
> >
> > I haven't implemented pbuffers in the code I checked in. It shouldn't
> > be too hard, I just need to make a little memory manager for VRAM. Of
> > course pbuffers don't get you anything on fbdev.
>
> For now, we could simply use software-based pbuffers using the new
> renderbuffer code.  I could take a stab at that.

My goal was to make the fbdev egl driver the model for what the other
drivers should do. But on the other hand I want a fully functioning
egl driver so that I can get glitz and Xgl running even if it is on
software pbuffers and fbdev.

Dave has already said he is working on adding support to the radeon
driver for egl. This is probably going to force the designing of the
VRAM memory management system. It would probably be better if this
memory manager was designed instead of growing out of lots of little
changes

Here's Ian's design from a long time ago:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dri-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg09472.html

Xgl basically requires fbo's so that the app can render to a surface
and then the compositing engine can use the the surface as a texture.

--
Jon Smirl
jonsmirl at gmail.com